Monday, March 25, 2019

#110T - Nate Snell


What a card: This is the 28th rookie card in the 1985 Topps Update set. Nate Snell appeared in 43 games as a reliever in 1985, posting the only five saves he would have in his four-year MLB career.

My observation on the front: Snell appears to be in mid-toss during spring training drills. It'd be nice if it wasn't cropped so close so we could see what he was doing.

More opinion from me: The first Nate Snell card I think of is his 1987 Topps card. I didn't buy a lot of '87 Topps, but I think he was in every pack I bought.

Something you might know: Snell spent eight years in the minor leagues before he finally received his first big-league playing time in 1984, appearing in four games for Baltimore that year.

Something you might not know: After his baseball career ended, Snell took a job with the United Postal Service and as of 2015 was still working for UPS.


My observation on the back: The informative bio is offset by a big, fat uncorrected error in the stats. Snell is given hitter's categories (which just so happen to be the same number of columns as the pitching categories) with all of his pitching stats. That leads to some disorienting reading if you forgot he's a pitcher: what the hell, 45 home runs and just 28 RBIs? 81 2/3 at-bats? Batting 2,000?

The blog wants to speak now: The Pop Culture tab is updated.

No comments: