Friday, October 26, 2018

#53T - Teddy Higuera


What a card: This is the 14th rookie card in the 1985 Topps Traded set. Higuera won 15 games in his rookie year, finishing runner-up to Ozzie Guillen for the American League Rookie of the Year award.

My observation on the front: Higuera is obviously in Tiger Stadium. I can spot the monstrous English D on the fan's jacket. I don't know what the green hats are though. Possibly Michigan State, although it seems too bright for that.

More opinion from me: Higuera was often compared to Fernando Valenzuela because they were both talented pitchers from Mexico. I used to scoff at this comparison, because, come on, there's only one Fernando.

Something you might know: Higuera won 20 games during his second major league season in 1986, finishing only behind Roger Clemens for the Cy Young Award that year.

Something you might not know: Higuera was not allowed to play baseball until he was 18 years old and in his last year of high school. In his third game ever, he struck out 21 batters. (The write-up on the back of his card says 25 strikeouts, but I suppose it could have been two different games).


My observation on the back: All those Mexican League stats are fascinating.

The blog wants to speak now: The News category is updated.

1 comment:

Al said...

I also scoff at the Higuera/Fernando comparison. Higuera was better.