Monday, August 27, 2018

#33T - John Felske


What a card: Like the most recent manager profiled in this set, this is John Felske's first Topps card since he was a player back in the 1970s. Felske appeared in the 1973 Topps set.

My observation on the front: Man, I love those Phillies patches from that era. I thought they'd wear them forever and the font would never change.

More opinion from me: Like Davenport, this is another manager that I don't remember. He lasted a bit longer than the Giants manager, but I'm pretty sure I didn't watch a single Phillies game between 1985-87.

Something you might know: Felske was named the Phillies manager after Paul Owens stepped down from the job after the 1984 season. Owens also was the general manager at the time.

Something you might not know: During the 1980s and early '90s, Felske owned a small franchise of quick oil-change shops in the Chicago area. He noticed the growing popularity of oil-change shops in California during the 1970s and decided to give it a try.


My observation on the back: Felske couldn't get past Randy Hundley in the Cubs lineup in the late 1960s.

The blog wants to speak now: The Ballgames category is updated.

No comments: