Monday, August 20, 2018

#31T - Ken Dixon


What a card: This is the eighth rookie card in the Traded set. Ken Dixon appeared in 34 games for the Orioles in 1985, including 18 starts. He won eight games and posted a 3.67 ERA.

My observation on the front: I'm pleasantly surprised by action shots in 1980s Traded sets, they don't seem to come along all that often.

More opinion from me: I'm interested in the billboard behind Dixon. It looks like a glass of milk or a milkshake?

Something you might know: Dixon pitched for the Orioles through 1987 and then was traded to the Mariners. But he never pitched again due to shoulder problems.

Something you might not know: Dixon struggled to deal with the end of his baseball career by the age of 30. He was arrested for cocaine possession in 1991 when drugs were found in his car (he said they weren't his). Decades later he helped co-found Diamond Dream Foundation, which promotes baseball in the Washington D.C. area.


My observation on the back: This write-up makes me wish he had six different hobbies.

The blog wants to speak now: The News category is updated.

2 comments:

Joe said...

What caught my eye: Almost 8 innings per start in 1984 (240 IP in 31 games) in triple-A with 20 complete games! I'd love to know what his pitch counts were. What a different era.

Rob said...

I just used him last night for a spot start in my 1984 Statis Pro league and he got shelled by the Tigers