Friday, January 26, 2018

#748 - Lee Mazzilli


What a card: These were not good times for Lee Mazzilli as his playing time and productivity continued to decline. He appeared in 111 games in 1984 but came to bat just 266 times as he was often used as a pinch-hitter. His playing time would decrease even more in 1985.

My observation on the front: I will never get used to Mazzilli in a Pirates uniform.

More opinion from me: My favorite Mazzilli moment was his game-tying home run for the National League in the eighth inning of the 1979 All-Star Game. My least favorite Mazzilli moment was his bitching and moaning after the Mets traded him to the Rangers in 1982.

Something you might know: Mazzilli was traded from the Rangers to the Yankees for Bucky Dent. One matinee idol for another.

Something you might not know: In Class A ball in 1975, Mazzilli stole seven bases in a seven-inning game.


My observation on the back: Lee and Dani were married in 1984. She was co-host of WNEW-TV's PM Magazine show at the time.

The blog wants to speak now: The blog has a splitting headache, so we'll skip this segment this time.

No comments: