Wednesday, January 24, 2018

#747 - Alex Trevino


What a card: Alex Trevino played just one season for the Braves and it was in 1984 and for the first month of 1985. He was off to the Giants after that. He played for four teams within a two-year period.

My observation on the front: The determination on Trevino's face is clear. But that might be a grounder to the second baseman.

More opinion from me: There is nothing more horrifying than this card.

Something you might know: A solid backup catcher who was handed the starting role a time or two, Trevino was part of the '80s trail of starting catchers the Reds tried after Johnny Bench gave up the position. In order: Joe Nolan (1981), Alex Trevino (1982), Dann Bilardello (1983), Brad Gulden (1984), Dave Van Gorder (1985), Bo Diaz (1986-88), Jeff Reed (1989).

Something you might not know: Trevino formed the first all-Mexican battery in MLB history when he caught Fernando Valenzuela in a Dodgers game in 1986.


My observation on the back: David Ortiz now holds that DH HR record with 47 in 2006.

The blog wants to speak now: The News category is updated.

1 comment:

Jason T. Carter said...

The trail of Reds catchers continues today. I thought Mesoraco might finally be the answer, but injuries proved me wrong. I doubt Barnhart hangs on very long, though I like him quite a bit. Only time will tell.

Alex's older brother Bobby played a few games for the Angels in 1968. I thought he was also related to golfer Lee Trevino, but I can't seem to find any evidence of that now. Perhaps that was just speculation on my part when I was younger.

JT, The Writer's Journey