Thursday, December 21, 2017

#737 - Bo Diaz


What a card: Bo Diaz was coming off a 1984 season in which he played in just 27 games when this card was issued. He suffered from knee ailments throughout the season.

My observation on the front: A nice pensive catcher shot. He almost looks like he's getting ready to box.

More opinion from me: Those chest protectors look dated but I prefer them to the ones worn today.

Something you might know: The catcher for the National League champion Phillies in 1983, Diaz is probably most known these days by the way he died: crushed to death by the satellite dish that he was adjusting on the roof of his home.

Something you might not know: When the Giants' Robby Thompson was caught stealing four times in one game in 1986, Diaz was responsible for three of those. The other one occurred when John Franco picked off Thompson.


My observation on the back: I don't know if the Yankees still hold the consecutive opening days streak. I believe the question references opening days regardless of whether the team is at home or on the road. Baseball-almanac.com mentions the 1983-91 Reds and the 2009-17 Tigers (streak still going) as the record-holders at nine in a row. But I believe that refers only to home opening days because it doesn't mention the Yankees.

The blog wants to speak now: The Music category is updated.

2 comments:

Brett Alan said...

Ahem. Read that trivia answer again, please. Hint: Tom Seaver pitched the first few games of that streak.

night owl said...

Wow. Another reason why I shouldn't write these after work.

Still don't have time to investigate how the Mets fit into this as a quick glance raises more questions. I'll adjust later.