Wednesday, December 6, 2017

#732 - John McNamara


What a card: John McNamara managed the Angels to an 81-81 mark in his second season with the club in 1984. That was good for a tie for second place in the dismal AL West.

My observation on the front: I remember McNamara as kind of crusty, but he positively beams on many of his baseball cards.

More opinion from me: Out of all of the things McNamara is accused of doing/not doing as manager of the Red Sox during the latter stages of Game 6 of the World Series in 1986, I can say the only thing that bothered me as it was happening was Calvin Schiraldi showing up in the ballgame.

Something you might know: McNamara managed six major league teams but he is far and away most associated with the Red Sox and their ill-fated World Series pursuit in 1986.

Something you might not know: McNamara once was assessed a $25 fine by the Red Sox's kangaroo court leader, Don Baylor, for using Right Guard aerosol deodorant as hairspray.


My observation on the back: There is one retired number there, Rod Carew's 29.

The blog wants to speak now: The Music category is updated.

No comments: