Wednesday, July 1, 2015

#428 - Larry Andersen


What a card: This is Larry Andersen's first card since 1983. All the major card companies left him out of their 1984 sets.

My observation on the front: Anderson is making his first appearance on a card for the Phillies, the team to which he is most associated.

More opinion from me: I still don't know why '80s teams thought piping on the shoulders was a good idea.

Something you might know: I think everybody knows that Andersen is part of what's considered one of the most lopsided trades in MLB history. The Red Sox traded prospect Jeff Bagwell to Houston for the use of Anderson for the month of September in 1990.

Something you might not know: Larry Andersen and his wife once hosted Thanksgiving dinner for a party of 27. They served spaghetti on fine china but didn't put out any silverware, instead placing a paper bag beside each plate. In the paper bag was a bib, a chocolate mint, a napkin and plastic gloves. The guests ate spaghetti on Thanksgiving with plastic gloves.

 
My observation on the back: I wonder if their daughter ever ate spaghetti with plastic gloves?

The blog wants to speak now: The Ballgames category is updated.

2 comments:

jacobmrley said...

I once has about a dozen people over for thanksgiving, and cooked a turkey so good that the two vegetarians amongst my guests tried it. They didn't even used plastic gloved to do it.

(I use any opportunity I can to tell that story).

Stack22 said...

"The guests ate spaghetti on Thanksgiving with plastic gloves."

I think it's a pretty safe bet that mushrooms were the appetizer.