Thursday, September 18, 2014

#331 - Bill Laskey


What a card: This is Bill Laskey's last card as a San Francisco Giant. He was dealt to the Expos in August of 1985.

My observation on the front: It's probably an optical illusion, but Laskey appears to be much too close to the fence to be on the mound. I'm guessing he's on the sidelines warming up.

More opinion from me: I know I vowed never again to guess the stadium featured in a card, but even I can recognize the fence at Candlestick Park.

Something you might know: Laskey began his big league career with a bang, throwing a complete-game three-hitter in his first start in 1982 and leading the team in victories that year with 13. After one year, he appeared on the Giants' team leader card in the 1983 set for having the club's best ERA.

Something you might not know: Laskey was a teammate (with the Cleveland Indians) and a winter league roommate of recently departed Rangers manager Ron Washington, who was just featured two cards ago.


My observation on the back: I've often wondered whether teams are more likely to trade for pitchers (or hitters) who performed well against them. Maybe Laskey's major league debut stuck in the Expos' heads. Although, if it did, I'll bet they're sorry. Laskey went 0-5 with a 9.44 ERA in 11 games for Montreal in 1985.

The blog wants to speak now: The News category is updated.

2 comments:

jacobmrley said...

I can't be the only one who thinks of this when he hears the name...

http://www.hulu.com/watch/569144

Matt Runyon said...

I had forgotten that he had a good rookie season. All I remembered was the putrid 1985 season.