Monday, September 8, 2014

#327 - Brook Jacoby


What a card: This is the first base Topps card for Brook Jacoby. He appears in the 1984 Topps Traded set. He also appears in the '84 Donruss set as an Atlanta Brave. It's the only major issue set where you can find Jacoby as a Brave.

My observation on the front: Chain-link fences scream spring training. ... Well, actually, for me, they scream "ball park I played in when I was a kid".

More opinion from me: There is some "print snow" on Jacoby's left arm sleeve. I never knew this set had so many "snow" cards until starting this blog.

Something you might know: Jacoby was a cornerstone of the Indians' offense in the mid-1980s. He was obtained in a trade along with Brett Butler for soon-to-be washed up pitcher Len Barker.

Something you might not know: Jacoby recently ended a six-year stay as the Reds' hitting coach. Former manager Dusty Baker claims that when he found out last year that the Reds were going to fire Jacoby, he told GM Walt Jocketty to fire him instead. Baker was fired the next day. Jacoby and the Reds parted ways, too. He now works for the Rangers.


My observation on the back: Jacoby put up some big numbers in the Braves' system.

The blog wants to speak now: The News category is updated.

No comments: