Monday, February 17, 2014

#263 - Mel Hall


What a card: This is Mel Hall's first flagship card with the Indians. He's featured in the 1984 Topps Traded set with the Indians. In fact, it's another batting cage shot, which makes me believe both cards are from the same batting practice session.

My observation on the front: The three people in the stands don't seem to focused on what's going on in the cage. Judging by the way one of them is squeezed into the seat, they must be looking at the hot dog vendor ... OK, that was unnecessarily mean.

More opinion from me: Knowing what I know about Hall now, it's hard for me to look at any of my Mel Hall cards. Doing research on him gives me the shivers.

Something you might know: The former Cub, Indian and Yankee left the major leagues for Japan at the relatively young age of 32. He is now serving at minimum 22 years in prison on charges of aggravated sexual assault of a child.

Something you might not know: When Hall and Deion Sanders were teammates with the Yankees, Sanders asked Hall to be the godfather of one of his children. Eesh.


My observation on the back: I never knew Hall was born in upstate New York until writing this post. In fact, he was born in the same town as Syracuse basketball coach Jim Boeheim.

The blog wants to speak now: The News category is updated.

No comments: