Friday, May 24, 2013

#179 - Tommy John


What a card: Tommy John was entering his fourth year with the Angels when this card was created, but he'd be released by California in June of 1985. He'd be picked up by the A's a month later.

My observation on the front: John's getting up there. He's graying at the temples.

More opinion from me: For a 1980s card, it's a bit of an usual photo for a player at this stage of his career, established with a team. Usually, Topps would go with an action shot here.

Something you might know: I hope you know that this is the first guy to undergo "Tommy John surgery," also known as ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction. John has encountered plenty of people who think that he's the doctor who performs the surgery.

Something you might not know: Chicago Bears long-snapper Patrick Mannelly is married to John's daughter, Tamara.


My observation on the back: Arrrgh! I missed posting this on John's 70th birthday by two days!

The blog wants to speak now: The Pop Culture category is updated.

1 comment:

Commishbob said...

Well, I'll be. My wife likes Tamara Mannelly's food related blog. I had know clue who she was. You learn the weirdest things from Night Owl's blogs.