Tuesday, September 25, 2018

#43T - Ozzie Guillen


What a card: This is the 12th rookie card in the 1985 Topps Traded set. Ozzie Guillen would appear in 159 games for the White Sox his rookie year and win the AL Rookie of the Year honors.

My observation on the front: There you see the White Sox's mid-1980s uniform in all its splendor from head-to-nearly-toe.

More opinion from me: I've mentioned this before but in the mid-'80s, the Buffalo Bisons were the Triple A team for the White Sox. I bought a Bison sweatshirt that was styled like the White Sox uniform you see here: A great big BISONS stripped across the chest with red stripes above and below. It was not a good look and I didn't wear it much.

Something you might know: Guillen played 13 of his 16 MLB seasons with the White Sox and later became the team's manager, guiding the team to a World Series title in 2005.

Something you might not know: Guillen acted in several television mini-series in his native Venezuela when he was a player.


My observation on the back: "Switch-hitter" is hyphenated.

The blog wants to speak now: The News category is updated.

2 comments:

Rob said...

I was at the White Sox - Tigers game at Tiger Stadium when Steve Lyons dropped his pants after sliding into first base. During that same game a bird kept dive-bombing Guillen at short stop. He was laughing about it.

Jamie Meyers said...

Until I looked at the back of this card here, i never realized he was originally Padres' property until they traded him after the 1984 season. Oops on them.