Friday, July 27, 2018

#24T - Vince Coleman


What a card: This is the sixth rookie card in the Traded set and one of the biggest in a set not known for its rookies. Vince Coleman would produce an astonishing rookie season in 1985, recording 110 stolen bases and winning the Rookie of the Year Award.

My observation on the front: I enjoy it when Topps gets it right: Vince Coleman on the basepaths.

More opinion from me: Coleman got on my bad side right away during his rookie year. Not only did his Cardinals beat my Dodgers in the 1985 NLCS, but he famously said, "I don't know nothing about Jackie Robinson."

Something you might know: Coleman missed the 1985 World Series when the automatic tarp rolled over his leg during pregame warmups for Game 4 of the NLCS.

Something you might not know: Coleman, whose cousin Greg was a punter in the NFL for 12 years, once was fined $25 by manager Jim Fregosi, after showing off his own punting abilities to his Triple A Louisville teammates before a game.


My observation on the back: I'll take a moment to mention how bizarre it was to see a card with nothing but minor league stats on the back when I was a kid.

The blog wants to speak now: The Music category is updated.

2 comments:

steelehere said...

145 Stolen Bases in one season, no matter the league, is incredible to see on the back of his card.

jacobmrley said...

Vince Coleman as a Met. Vince. Coleman. As. A. Met. I will never get over how terrible his tenure with the blue and orange was. We let Strawberry go and signed this bag of strained hamstrings and firecrackers. Nope, I am still not over it.