Monday, July 9, 2018

#16T - Don Carman


What a card: This is the fourth rookie card in the set. Don Carman appeared in 71 games his rookie year, the most by any Phillies pitcher in 1985. He posted a 2.08 ERA, won nine games and saved seven more.

My observation on the front: Carman is wearing Jackie Robinson's number. Before Major League Baseball retired the number 42 in Robinson's honor, Carman wore the number longer than any other Phillies player (seven years).

More opinion from me: I was long past this stage in 1985, but if this card had been released 10 years earlier when I was a child, I know it would be one of my favorites. Hell, I still like Randy Lerch and Dick Ruthven because of their '70s cards.

Something you might know: Carman was a notoriously poor hitter, even by pitcher standards, striking out 75 times in 239 career plate appearances. Here is video of his first major league hit, after going 0-for-48 to start his career.

Something you might not know: Carman once posted a list of 37 standard responses to reporters' questions because he was growing tired of the same questions. Among the responses were: "we have a different hero everyday," "give the guy some credit, he hit a good pitch," and "I'd rather be lucky than good." The list was printed in several newspapers.


My observation on the back: Now the only artificial turf surfaces in all of MLB are Toronto and Tampa Bay.

The blog wants to speak now: The News category is updated.

1 comment:

capewood said...

Even though Don Carman wasn't that terrible of a pitcher (he was 53-52 with the Phillies) he represents to me the how mediocre the Phillies were in the mid to late 80s.