Wednesday, February 28, 2018

#760 - Nolan Ryan


What a card: Nolan Ryan was still going strong for the Astros at age 37 in 1984, although he did appear in the fewest total innings for a complete season (183.2) since 1971.

My observation on the front: Part of the "wow factor" of Ryan signing with the Astros was him wearing that bright orange cap and the rainbow stripes across the chest. The Astros ditched that gear for the 1982 season, though, and I always found the blue tops and stripes restricted to the shoulders not nearly as exciting (although I understand the switch).

More opinion from me: I get the feeling that Ryan didn't give a wit what he wore on the field.

Something you might know: More strikeouts and no-hitters than anyone, folks.

Something you might not know: Ryan's mother, Martha, who died in 1990, is a descendant of John Hancock, the first signer of the Declaration of Independence.


My observation on the back: Ryan's childhood dream was to be a cowboy, so mission accomplished.

The blog wants to speak now: The News category is updated.

No comments: