Friday, February 16, 2018

#755 - Ken Singleton


What a card: Ken Singleton struggled through his final season in 1984, batting just .215 in 111 games. He retired after the season and this is his final card from his playing career.

My observation on the front: I don't think I realized just how impressive Singleton was in terms of stature. This card does show it. He is a big dude. And I don't mean fat.

More opinion from me: I've mentioned this before: Singleton was my youngest brother's favorite player when we were growing up. I suppose he still is. We don't really talk about it anymore.

Something you might know: Singleton stepped into the broadcasting booth soon after his playing career ended. He started with the Orioles, then moved on to the Canadian teams, the Blue Jays and most notably the Expos. For the past 20 years, he's been a broadcaster with the Yankees, although he's trimmed back to "analyst" the last couple of years and doesn't do much play-by-play anymore.

Something you might not know: Singleton grew up in a house in Mount Vernon, N.Y., that was previously owned by the family of Brooklyn Dodgers pitcher Ralph Branca.


My observation on the back: Mount Vernon is no joke when it comes to high school athletics, but I suppose that's obvious if Ken Singleton was playing for them.

The blog wants to speak now: The News category is updated.

No comments: