Wednesday, December 9, 2015

#481 - Dale Murray


What a card: This is the final card of Dale Murray issued during his career. He appeared in 19 games for the Yankees in 1984 and would appear in eight games combined with the Yankees and Rangers in '85 to close out his career.

My observation on the front: Thank goodness the Yankees don't have eight different versions of their uniform.

More opinion from me: This card is nice bookend with his 1975 Topps card. They are the last and first of Murray's career. And since my baseball card collecting career began the same year of Murray's first card (and I pulled his card out of one of my first packs), Murray kind of represents the start and finish of my first collecting period. My quest each year to get my hands on every Topps card I could ended in 1985 (it would re-emerge with a vengeance in 1989).

Something you might know: Murray spent all 12 of his big-league seasons in the bullpen, leading the National League in appearances in 1976 with 81.

Something you might not know: Murray is often cited as being part of the deal in which the Yankees surrendered Fred McGriff to the Blue Jays. New York sent McGriff, Dave Collins, Mike Morgan and cash to Toronto for Murray and a prospect named Tom Dodd. But the deal could have been even worse for the Yankees. New York had included third baseman Graig Nettles in the deal, but Nettles refused to go unless the Blue Jays gave him a big bonus, and they declined.


My observation on the back: It's actually "Blinn" Junior College. Blinn JC and Victoria (a community college) are about 60 miles apart. I'm assuming something didn't work out for Murray at one of them.

The blog wants to speak now: The News category is updated.

1 comment:

Eric C. Loy said...

Remember when relief pitchers threw 100 innings in a season?