Monday, March 16, 2015

#390 - 1984 United States Baseball Team: Sid Akins


What a card: The first player card in the 1984 U.S. Baseball Team subset, this is one of several players in the set who would never play in the majors. I hope to have an exact count by the time the subset is completed on the blog.

My observation on the front: I am reminded instantly how little I cared for this set when I bought the complete 1985 set. It is essentially college players and being from the Northeast, I had little interest in college baseball.

More opinion from me: I wonder how Topps went about choosing players to feature in this set? Will Clark and Barry Larkin were members of the 1984 U.S. team and aren't in the set.

Something you might know: Akins was drafted by the Rangers and also played in the Braves and Cardinals organizations, getting as high as Triple A for Atlanta in 1988.

Something you might not know: Akins was in "Bull Durham". In a creative stretch, he played a baseball player.


My observation on the back: Other than the noting that the backs feature the player's college stats and 1984 U.S. stats -- nice -- I see that the team sponsor, General Electric, is mentioned at the bottom left.

The blog wants to speak now: The Ballgames category is updated.

2 comments:

Chris Harris said...

Larkin and Clark were prohibited from being the the 85T set due to NCAA regulations that were in place at the time.

steelehere said...

Sid was a high school teammate of Bret Saberhagen at Cleveland HS in Los Angeles.