Monday, September 9, 2013

#211 - Clay Christiansen


What a card: This is the first and last Topps card of Clay Christiansen, who pitched a single season in the majors, going 2-4 for the Yankees in 1984.

My observation on the front: Christiansen's glove looks abnormally small. But it's probably the camera angle.

More opinion from me: I'm pretty sure I looked at this card and thought "he got a card only because he was a Yankee." I thought that a lot back then. I don't do that quite as much anymore.

Something you might know: Christiansen is among a select group of University of Kansas pitchers to make the major leagues. Other notables are Steve Renko and Chuck Dobson. Christiansen also holds the record for most wins in a season for the Nashville Sounds. His 16 in 1982 is tied with Stefan Wever, also established in 1982.

Something you might not know: Christiansen is married to Karen Kornacki, a longtime on-air sports broadcaster and reporter for KMBC-TV in Kansas City. She received national attention in 2007 when the Royals' Emil Brown accidentally hit her near the eye with a shot from a pellet gun. Kornacki is from North Tonawanda, N.Y., which is a suburb of Buffalo that I know well (her dad was a high school football coach, which makes me wonder if I ever came across him).


My observation on the back: Just two choices for the trivia question? Oh well, I always liked the "true-false" multiple choice.

The blog wants to speak now: The TV, Pop Culture and News categories are updated.

No comments: