Tuesday, July 17, 2012

#74 - Mike Krukow


What a card: Mike Krukow had just finished an 11-12 season for the Giants in which he led the National League in hits allowed with 234.

My observation on the front: It's a Giants card, so I'm holding back the urge to spit. Other than that, no observation.

More opinion from me: Krukow has been Giants broadcast partners with Duane Kuiper for almost 25 years. Krukow does the color commentary and is known for his phrases and opinions. I think he's a homer, a Dodger fan-baiter and annoying. (Grab some pine, Krukow!) I think he showed his true colors when he adamantly backed Barry Bonds during the whole BALCO fiasco. I think you can compare him to one of those polarizing kind of players -- you like him if he's broadcasting for your team, otherwise, you hate his guts.

Something you might know: Krukow broke out of mediocrity in a big way in 1986 by going 20-9 for the Giants and finishing third in the N.L. Cy Young Award voting.

Something you might not know: Krukow takes two or three series off from broadcasting each season. One of those series this season was when the Giants played Houston -- and Matt Cain pitched a perfect game. He was home watching it on TV.


My observation on the back: Roscoe Barnes played for the Chicago White Stockings. Charles Jones of the Redlegs hit his reportedly hit his home run after Barnes' but on the same day, so I'm not sure why he's also mentioned in the question.

The blog wants to speak now: The News and Ballgames categories are updated. The 1985 MLB season has begun! Yay!

No comments: