Monday, January 28, 2019

#89T - Joe Orsulak


What a card: This is the 21st rookie card in the 1985 Topps Traded set. Joe Orsulak played in 121 games for the Pirates in 1985 and finished sixth in the NL Rookie of the Year voting.

My observation on the front: I see a Mets fan in the stands, rooting for Orsulak to be retired, no doubt.

More opinion from me: Major leaguers with a last name beginning in "O" is something of rarity. The first "O" players I remember were from the 1974 and 1975 Topps sets: Bob Oliver, Claude Osteen, Johnny Oates, John "Blue Moon" Odom and Steve Ontiveros. I definitely took note when Joe Orsulak started appearing on cards.

Something you might know: Orsulak played right field in the first game played at Camden Yards in 1992 and made the first putout at the park, catching a fly ball by the Indians' Kenny Lofton (The Orioles won 2-0 and both starting pitchers, Rick Sutcliffe for the O's and Charles Nagy for the Indians, pitched complete games).

Something you might not know: Orsulak, at 14 seasons played, is in the top 60 all-time of major leaguers who played the longest without appearing in the postseason. Orsulak's absence is even more notable as he played during a time of expanded playoffs.


My observation on the back: I'm not sure how many trivia questions in this set have been about the Championship Series, but it has to be the leading source for Championship Series trivia. I can't find half of this stuff online.

The blog wants to speak now: The News category is updated.

1 comment:

steelehere said...

I wish the PCL would bring back Hawaii Islanders as a AAA team.