Thursday, April 16, 2015

#401 - 1984 United States Baseball Team: Mark McGwire


What a card: I haven't checked recently, but I believe this is still the priciest card in the 1985 Topps set. I believe Beckett lists it around $30, but you can Buy It Now for under 10 bucks.

My observation on the front: Have an urge to smoke? Blame it on Mark McGwire's rookie card.

More opinion from me: Only one adjective to describe McGwire in this photo: "sunny".

Something you might know: McGwire set a rookie record for home runs in a season with 49 in 1987, and held the overall season mark for home runs for three years when he hit 70 in 1998. Then a little androstenedione here and a Jose Canseco tell-all book there and McGwire eventually admitted to using steroids.

Something you might not know: The U.S. baseball team used aluminum bats during the 1984 Olympics, but McGwire said he made sure he posed with a wooden bat for this photo because he expected it to be his first baseball card.


My observation on the back: I think someone needs to come up with a statistic to measure "fear".

The blog wants to speak now: The TV category is updated.

No comments: