Tuesday, August 28, 2012

#87 - David Green


What a card: David Green was coming off what would be his last decent major league season when this card was issued. OK, so he only had two decent seasons.

My observation on the front: What a great swing. He looks like he just mashed the ball 500 feet.

More opinion from me: As a young fan, I liked to pick out up-and-coming players as favorites with the belief that no one knew about them but me. While people were flipping out about Darryl Strawberry in the mid-'80s, I was quietly hoping that Green would become a big star.

Something you might know: Pegged as "the future of the Cardinals organization," Green played in all seven games of the 1982 World Series for the Cardinals, going 2-for-10.

Something you might not know: Green's problems with alcohol derailed his career. It also followed him into his post-career life. In 1995, he was convicted of driving while intoxicated after an accident in which a woman in another car suffered a broken pelvis and died of a heart attack two hours later.


My observation on the back: I never knew Green was Nicaraguan. I thought he was Dominican.

The blog wants to speak now: Some updates to the News and Pop Culture categories. Shame, shame, Denny McLain.

No comments: