Tuesday, December 19, 2017

#736 - Jerry Mumphrey


What a card: Jerry Mumphrey was coming off his most productive season since 1980 when this card was issued. He made his only All-Star Game appearance in 1984. Known for his speed, Mumphrey hit clean-up in the Houston lineup that year.

My observation on the front: I love action shots of players in mid-swing.

More opinion from me: Thanks to the reverse of Mumphrey's rookie card, I've known about '50s actress Lucy Marlowe since I was 12. Although Lucy is a brunette.

Something you might know: Mumphrey was one of the Yankees' top hitters for his first two years with the team in 1981 and 1982, but sat the bench for the latter part of the 1981 World Series causing some to wonder whether owner George Steinbrenner was controlling the lineup.

Something you might not know: Mumphrey's three-base error in the 20th inning of a game between the Paders and Astros in 1980 allowed Houston to win 3-1 on Aug. 16 and gain a tie for first-place with the Dodgers. The Astros would go on to beat the Dodgers in a special playoff series at the end of the season.


My observation on the back: It bothered me as a kid when the team names didn't line up in the stats.

The blog wants to speak now: The TV category is updated.

No comments: