Tuesday, July 1, 2014

#306 - Rick Reuschel


What a card: Rick Reuschel was a member of the Pittsburgh Pirates by the time this card arrived in most kids' collections. He signed as a free agent in late February, 1985.

My observation on the front: This is Reuschel's first trading card since 1982. He was recovering from rotator cuff surgery that cost him the entire 1982 season, and I'm sure I thought he had already retired when I saw this card.

More opinion from: Reuschel's weight was always a topic -- his nickname is "Big Daddy" -- and I went through his cards to see how his weight progressed. On his first solo card, in the 1974 set, he's listed as 215 pounds. The following year he is listed at 230. He stays at 230 for every card until the 1988 set, when he is bumped up to 240, which is where he stayed at through the remainder of his card listings. I did notice Reuschel as being a lot bigger on the Giants than I remembered him with the Cubs and Yankees.

Something you might know: Reuschel, whose brother Paul also pitched for the Cubs in the '70s, effectively had two careers, one as a reliable starter and 20-game winner with the Cubs in the '70s and early '80s and then another as a very effective starter with the Giants in the late '80s/early '90s. The guy also could field like no big man should.

Something you might not know: Reuschel married former Cubs teammate Scot Thompson's sister.


My observation on the back: I hate it when the Dodgers are on the regretful end of history.

The blog wants to speak now: The News category is updated.

No comments: